Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Artomatic 2008


So I'm participating in an enormous art show that opens this week called Artomatic. If you're in or near DC in the next month, you should stop by and check it out. There will be over a thousand artists, including over 800 visual artists of every stripe, plus two music stages, a theater space, dance space, a poetry room, a film room, a classroom, a tattoo parlor, open mics, performance art, fire dancing, burlesque, and more. It's going to be quite a spectacle. Go to the website for all the details.


I finally put the finishing touches on my space last night. Here are a few pictures of how I put it all together over the last couple of weeks. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but boy was it a lot of work.


This is my spot on the 7th floor, strategically near the stairs and the bathrooms.



My partition neighbor Sean, aka SecretWorm is a digital/graffiti artist and his concept was to make his wall look like a graffitied city street, which is really cool, but almost overwhelming visually, so I wanted something bold and clean that would balance and contrast that.


Here it is after spackling, sanding and the first coat of paint. The paint, which is blue even though it looks white in this picture, is the leftovers from when I painted my apartment in Providence, thus proving that carrying that bucket of paint back and forth across the country three times was totally worth it.


Here it is with all the painting finished. I think it looks pretty cool, but I wish I had done the lettering a little neater, maybe used stencils or something. Live and learn.


And here is the almost final state. I wish I had cleaned up my mess before I took the last picture but I was just so excited to have everything hung.

I'll take some at the opening on Friday.

6 comments:

Fred T. Cat said...

Wow Sarah that looks awesome, like something from outer space!

IntrplnetSarah said...

Thanks! It was way more work than I thought it was going to be, but I'm really happy with how it came out.

Mel said...

Are they going to have a webcam set up? I'd like to be a virtual tourist!

IntrplnetSarah said...

I don't think so, but I'm definitely going to bring my camera tomorrow, I'll try and post some pictures of some of the cooler things, like the fire dancing troupe that's performing tomorrow night!

Unknown said...

Congrats! How exciting!

Flygal said...

Wow Sarah, that looks really awesome! I hope you get lots of interest in your space art!