Tuesday, March 25, 2008

OMG we're all doomed

Apparently, according to this article in the NYTimes, the amount of beer a scientist drinks is inversely proportional to the amount of science they publish (i.e. more beer = fewer papers).

What? That's so not fair, I spent like two years in grad school learning how to drink beer just so I could fit in with my colleagues, and now you tell that I would have been a "more productive scientist" if only I had stuck with mudslides and amaretto sours?

Of course, if you read to the end of the article, you find out that these results may only hold true for biologists in the Czech Republic (apparently that country has a "special relationship to beer"). So maybe we'll be okay, but just to be on the safe side, I think I'll drink wine this weekend instead of beer and see if that motivates me to work on one of those 3 papers I'm supposed to be writing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel vindicated in my non-beer-drinking ways.

And yes, let me tell you - after many years of observing my Czech in-laws, that country does have a special relationship with beer.

What's up with Alan Stern's departure? Or are you not supposed to talk about that sort of stuff?