Friday, July 20, 2007

Happy Apollo 11 Anniversary


Today marks the 38th anniversary of the day that humankind first set foot on the Moon (unless you're Australian, apparently they mark that on the 21st). Here at JSC they are celebrating with a Grand Reopening of the Saturn V facility and a sneak preview of the movie "In the Shadow of the Moon" which I am really looking forward to seeing.

Agency wide, NASA is referring to today as the inaugural "First Footprints" celebration, an annual commemoration of one of humankind's most amazing and important accomplishments. I like that, I'm surprised that we haven't made more of a big deal of this in the past. I hope it catches on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OOO!

They showed that at JPL yesterday, since today is our regular day off on the 9/80 workweek. I loved it. I've seen so many TV documentaries and read so many books on the topic by now, and this one was fabulous. You really get a sense of the individual personalities of the astronauts, and the footage is spectacular.

The director introduced it to us, and said he's been asked to do an "Engineering of Apollo" sort of thing next, which I think will be great.